Prosecutors released Glenn Proctor last Thursday after 11 months behind bars. A computerized comparison of Proctor's and the suspect's facial features led prosecutors to believe they had arrested the wrong man.
Charges dropped against transit shooting suspect
After more than 11 months behind bars, Glenn Proctor is going home.
Prosecutors in his upcoming murder trial, originally scheduled to begin this week, announced last Thursday that they believe they arrested the wrong man.
His exoneration in the January 18, 2008 shooting at the Federal Way Transit Center relied heavily on evidence gathered from surveillance cameras at the crime scene. According to the prosecutors, a computerized analysis of Proctor's facial features-particularly the vertical spacing between his scalp, eyes and mouth-did not match the suspect captured on video.
Any eyewitness fingered Proctor for the shooting that killed an innocent bystander just before the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday last year.
Proctor, 21, turned himself in to police on February 9, 2008, and was immediately booked into the King County Justice Center in Kent, where he remained awaiting trial until last Thursday, January 15, when he walked free. Proctor said he constantly professed his innocence throughout the ordeal.
After questioning and releasing several persons of interest, Federal Way Police issued a statement last February that they liked Proctor for the January 18 murder. Within days, Proctor turned himself in.
Federal Way Police said Proctor used a handgun to kill Darrel L. Miller, and was considered armed and dangerous.
Federal Way police said last week that the investigation in the shooting is ongoing and that they are pursuing new suspects in the case.